Saturday, October 30, 2010

She wins again.

I've got to hurry and write this before my sugar crash hits.

My dear hard working man wanted some crab apple jelly, so he picked a ton of crab apples and I gave it a go. Turns out the recipe in the Sure-Jell box called for NINE CUPS of sugar. Yes. Nine cups. Well those crab apples are pretty tart, but for the love. Blech.

It was just too much. I smeared it all over a piece of toast, using Aunt Mama Hen's famous toast recipe, and I am pretty sure I am on the verge of diabetes. Woo.

Oh, the famous toast recipe? I'll give it to you. I'm pretty sure she won't mind. Here's how I got it -

Schyler spent the night over there with Abbie last night and calls me this morning to tell me about the best breakfast she's ever had. And Aunt Wendy made it herself! Homemade!

She goes on to tell me, "She got butter and put it on a piece of bread and then put it in the oven and cooked it!"

*Muffled talking (hand over phone) "what was it called Abbie?"

Shouting -"OH YEAH! TOAST! Mom, it was toast! I love Aunt Wendy's toast!"

Turns out that biscuits, eggs, bacon, grits, Irish oatmeal, peanut butter french toast and omelets are completely second rate to Aunt Wendy's toast.

How does that woman do it? Surely she laced it with something completely brilliant and won't tell me so that I'll go on thinking even her toast skills are superior. Yeah, yeah. That's it...

4 comments:

MamaHen said...

Its all in the way your spread the butter.

Rachel said...

Toast is a delicate art that can only be done properly by the best of cooks. I'm sure you'll get there... one day.

Jill said...

Ummm, be careful about Mama Hen and her toast. She almost burned our house down back in the day when she decided to make cheese toast IN THE TOASTER!!!

Belinda said...

Tomorrow's "recipe" day on A Simple Life. I may have to borrow your toast recipe. Like I always say... "The simple things are the best!"

That was hilarious.